Saturday, June 2, 2012

Bride-N-Seek


A bride and a groom were both very young, around 16, but decided to get married anyway, as was the way in those days. It was a huge, elaborate wedding and the reception was held at an old mansion, an heirloom of the family, of sorts (Urban legends online, 2012, p. n.d). After most people had left and all were drunk of wedding champagne, the bride whined she was getting bored. When asked what she'd like to do, she grinned and said she always loved a good game of hide-and-seek. Though reluctant to play such a childish game, all agreed and the groom was "it.”

It took only about 30 minutes for all to be found... all but the bride, that is. Everyone began searching the entire house, but no one found her. The groom, thinking maybe she had second out a missing persons report but no luck. Eventually he moved on with his life. thoughts about the marriage, grew angry and sent everyone home. After two or three days, he put

After the girl's father died, the mansion was being cleaned, the family taking what they would before the auction came around. The mother of the long-gone bride was up in the storage attic, cleaning out the old clothes and junk when she saw an old trunk with a lock on it. After breaking the lock, she peered inside... and began to scream. (Urban legends online, 2012, p. n.d). All ran upstairs to see what was happening. Inside the trunk was the bride, dead after the lid fell on her head and crushed part of her skull... though she was still grinning at her little game of hide-and-seek.

This tale makes us shiver because it invokes our fear of being buried alive and dying inch by inch in an enclosed, dark space. In the tale, the horror is heightened by the innocence of the victim and the happiness of the day being transformed into unspeakable tragedy. The bright promise of what should have marked the beginning of the happiest period in her life dies a long lonely death along with the bride in a child’s game gone horribly wrong.



9 comments:

  1. This story is pretty cool, but i didn't think it was that creepy. I was able to predict what was going to happen, but i liked the story anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The post, Bride-n-seek, was really creepy at the end. I didn’t know what was going to happen at the end which I like because it was suspenseful. Even if it is an urban legend, it can happen to anyone when playing hide and seek. From reading this I learned to pick a good but SAFE hiding place when playing this game. I like your post and blog, even if it’s scary.
    -Devin Mirlas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like reading creepy stories, like this one. This is a great blog because when you are bored at night you just go on this blog and read these creepy stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading scary stories. This one was very creepy. Now I know where some of the games and stories come from. I love this blog!
    -Felicia Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite blog, mainly because I love this type of thing. This story was really creepy, and even though I know it's not true, it still scares me enough to not want to play hide-and-seek for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite blogs because it is has very interesting and cool stories. I love reading the posts because they are very creepy.
    -Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  7. That lid must have been pretty heavy to crush her skull. Honestly, I don't think it was the chest. I think that someone murdered her. To me, it sounds like when she was going to hide in the chest, someone slammed the lid on her head. I have to say that this is a pretty freaky story. Is this story true? If it is, then I would never hide in a chest again when I am playing hide-and-seek.
    -George Amabile

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always come to this blog. I love it, but I have to admit, I heard this story before, and it still managed to scare me.
    ~Annie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is so interesting. This post is really creepy, and the pictures help. I love how that one picture was at the bottom, so it frightens you a bit as you scroll down. Nice story!

    ReplyDelete